Saturday, September 8, 2007

Beautiful Revelations

I'm heading into the fourth week of my sophomore year here at Ozark, and it's been pretty good. I've gotten into the swing of things, with a very full semester ahead of me. I've been talking about a lot of stuff, to a guy who lived in Cyprus for the past year, and who's now back in the dorm. Specifically, once I graduate, what will I do on the mission field?

Well, he brought up some ideas that I had never even contemplated before! They were, as I have dubbed this update, "beautiful revelations." He asked what exactly are my passions. I told him soccer, and computers. I explained how I really don't want to teach English as a missionary. That's just not what I want to do, and I can serve God better by doing things at which I'm talented, and for which I have a passion. He said I should consider coaching soccer. However, I haven't played soccer in four years, so I don't think that would work very well, especially if I wish to make a living, or some level of support for myself.

This out of the way, we then moved to computers. He said that perhaps I should start a computer store, or repair shop in Germany. Well...that could work, but I'm not nearly as computer savvy as I would need to be in order to establish a business such as that. But! I have always loved computer games. And when I was home this summer for break, I learned of a new place in Albuquerque. It's called Ninja Monkey Gaming Center. Basically, they have 24 or so computers, an Xbox 360, a Nintendo Wii, and a PlayStation3, along with beverages (mostly energy drinks,) and plenty of snacks. Long story short, I want to start one in Germany!

Just like the Apostle Paul made tents to support himself, a fire burns within me start a gaming center in Germany. By doing this, I would not only be establishing a visible reason for my presence, but I would also be making a living. However, I have no idea the costs to start such a center... Good news, though!

First, I have a job! I'm going to be an Office Intern at Literature and Teaching Ministries for the school year. It's 10-15 hours/week, at $7/hour. The majority of this money will go for next year's trip to Germany, which the cost has gone up to $3300 (instead of $3200.) Speaking of the trip, I have a new link for online donation. Here it is!

The other good news is that I have at least four years until I get to the field, or am even ready to start planning such a business venture. I have to finish this year, and then go on my six-week trip to Peine, Germany. After that is my junior year, which will be followed by an internship, (also in Peine,) which will cost approximately $16000 after the exchange rate. (PLEASE PRAY FOR SUPPORT!) This will be followed by my senior year, and if needed, I'll do another semester to graduate with a Bachelor of Christian Ministry with the double major of Bible and Missions. But it doesn't end there. I think I should get at least a certificate in Business Administration, and possibly Computer Technology, before starting the center. That adds another semester, if not another year to that (a year or two if I decide to get an Associates Degree in either of those.)

As you can see, I have a long road ahead of me. I need a lot of prayer, and a lot of financial support. Please consider giving to my trip next summer ($1650 needed by February, and the other $1650 due by April,) my internship, and the possible gaming center.

I truly thank you for reading all the way to the end of this very lengthy update! I'm now going to bed.

May God bless you in your life, so that you may bless the nations.
Karl
P.S. I got to hang out with Josh Furnal, one of the missionaries to Italy, today! He was in town doing fundraising, and so I got to hang out with him for half an hour. It was refreshing.

6 comments:

melanie said...

whooaa this sounds very familiar... like what i had e-mailed you about.. was it... last week?

anyway, that's awesome!

that's what i think i'm going to do. well, i'm not starting a gaming center, but i plan on doing something to support myself alongside missions... i just have no idea of what.

i'm trying to think of what i'm passionate about...

i can't think of anything...

anyway, that's awesome!!

and pray i will...

so the internship thing.. where's that? germany? (just wondering 'cause it's crazy expensive)

and when i give you money for your trip, how should i go about that?

and also, when do you want me to give it to you? the longer i wait the more there will be.. but then i guess i could give you some whenever and then more later.. idk

..whatever you want.

Karl said...

Melanie, If you can do online donation, using a debit card or something, that would be best/easiest (and it's tax deductible.) Here's the link for it: http://www.lst.org/2008projects/kmitchell
Donate whenever, just as long as I can raise $1650 by February and $1650 by April.

Erik said...

thats a sweet idea

Karl said...

Thanks bro, and thanks for the donation too!

OzarkMom said...

This sounds like a great idea and a good plan. You're in our prayers, son!

Jacqui said...

You can do anything you set your mind to, Karl! I'm proud of you!