Monday, February 1, 2010

Realizations of Worth

So I've been reading Donald Miller books a lot lately, and so this post's thoughts and realizations are definitely influenced by him, and especially his book "Searching for God Knows What." Anyway, something I've come to realize is that I get my glory from God alone. Not from shoddy tippers (I'm a waiter, in case you didn't know) or even stiffers. From God alone do I get my value. Not from my $3.65 per hour wage, but from the God of the universe.

Of course, conversely, I also don't get my worth from really amazing tippers, or $15 per hour nights. In both the bad and the good, I get my worth, value, and glory from YHWH. When we figure this out, we also can realize it's not just us, but every other human being, every other image bearer of God, that gets their glory from God, too. It is then that we know that no matter our socioeconomic or any other status, we are equal. That is when we can truly love one another, I think. That is when we can truly reach out to each other.

But that's just my two cents.

2 comments:

OzarkMom said...

I may have to start reading Donald Miller. These are excellent thoughts...

jessie said...

Im SOOOOO glad you are getting a lot out of his books. He has son fantastic thoughts. :)