Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Good Book

The other night, I finished reading through the Old Testament for my first time ever. I started in January, reading straight through the Bible, in an attempt to see God's character and have a broader view of my faith. This seeing God's character was important, because as part of humanity, one who is the imago Dei, I need to know what that means (to be God's image). I think it is summed up at Psalm 145:8, "The Lord is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love." Yes, He sent devastation against the nations, and even Israel. Yet, as the broader view aspect of my reading came into play, I realized, "Oh wait. He gave them centuries of warnings and chances to repent. He told exactly what would happen if they were unrepentant, and they kept up with their idolatry and unfaithfulness." Yet, even with the punishment, He still gives the promise of hope and restoration, not only for Israel, but even for us, the Gentiles! Indeed, the Lord, the Lord, is gracious and full of mercy. I'm taking a few days to digest all 979 chapters before I continue with the New Testament. Though, I can't wait, because now that I know the background, all those prophecy fulfillments will be "Aha!" moments. Beautiful.

No comments: