Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Fully Alive by Ken Davis (Book Review)

I forgot to put this in my last book review (the one over Leonard Sweet's book I Am a Follower), so I'll just put it here at the start on this one:
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com <http://BookSneeze®.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Part of why I got this book is because one of my favourite verses is John 10:10, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly." However, I found the first part of the book unhelpful. Now, many of you who know me know I still have one of those freak metabolisms that make it so I can eat and eat and eat and end up losing 5 pounds. Thus, the first part, about Ken's decision to get back into shape, wasn't nearly as applicable to me as it might be to someone else. Even though that wasn't particularly useful in terms of needing to get in shape, it definitely had lessons to draw from it, which he did expound upon. 

One of the biggest lessons was that in order to get in shape (physically, spiritually, etc), you must start. You also must not start tomorrow. You must start today. This was perhaps the most challenging lessons for me, as I have been struggling with my prayer life for awhile. I finally decided to change that, and have tried to pray as often as I think of it, even if it's just a short prayer. I am far from perfect, but as he uses one analogy, all I have to do is get to the next streetlight. 

Overall, I'd rate this a 9 out of 10 for his engaging storytelling, his great applications, and the way he makes challenges. Frankly, I'm not sure the exact reason it's not a 10 out of 10, other than I have to be incredibly moved for a book to receive that.

No comments: