Saturday, June 22, 2013

Book Review: Christian Mama's Guide to Parenting a Toddler

Have you ever read a book specifically written for another gender? Well, I decided to do that with Erin MacPherson's Christian Mama's Guide to Parenting a Toddler. Clearly I do not fit the "Mama's" portion of the title. However, I had several reasons for picking out this book. The biggest reason is also the most obvious. We have a toddler! The next reason was I wanted to better understand what my wife goes through while I'm away at work. This included tantrums (terrible twos...), picky eating, teaching, and more. I honestly was hesitant to read it because I didn't think I'd enjoy it. I was wrong.

First off, MacPherson is funny. Seriously, I've got a lip that won't stop splitting back open right now from being back in the dry heat, and I didn't mind laughing so much. If nothing else, she will keep you entertained. Second, she's been there, done that. She's got the stories to back up her wisdom. Though, I doubt she'd call it wisdom. Some writers tell mostly stories they've heard or relay research. MacPherson actually has kids, has went through multiple terrible twos, and has lived to tell about it. Hence, the subtitle, Everything You Need to Know to Survive (and Love) Your Child's Terrible Two's. However, with that said, she does pull in others to supplement her life lessons. One specific example of which I can think is her sister, Alisa, who is a registered dietician.

Finally, I want to say that even though it's written specifically to the mom's (aside from chapter 11, for us dad's), it's great. I gleaned so much from the book, especially how to help them develop a love for learning. Next I will pass it to Casey, so that 1)she can laugh and 2)we can start planning on how to better raise Dante. As if she needs any help. On my days off, and I'm cooking dinner, I have meltdowns just figuring out how to keep him from touching the stove while I'm chopping up vegetables.

Definitely recommend!

I received a copy of this book from BookSneeze.com in return for a review.

No comments: