Thursday, August 22, 2013

Support Raising!?

When I was in elementary school, we would do a fundraiser called the Jog-a-thon.  The basic concept was us students would go to our family and neighbors and ask them to make a certain pledge to the school. The pledge could be a set amount, say $25, or it could be based on how many laps were done around the track on the day of the Jog-a-thon. Many would donate $1 per lap, and then regret it when I would show them I did 50 laps. Each student usually was able to raise about $200 (or so I would assume, even at a minimum of $20 per donator, and assuming at least 10 donators).

Now, instead of raising money for schools (which I highly recommend; we need quality fundamental education more than ever), we are seeking to raise money for global outreach! As you know, we went to school for Missions and Intercultural Studies. However, other than short term trips and our internship, our involvement in it has been fairly limited. Due to this we are really excited about getting to start support raising! This may come as a surprise to most of you, as we have not hinted at any type of possibilities. To that I say fair enough. The support raising we're starting is actually for Ethan and Audrey Greer going to Osaka, Japan and Lance and Tara Schaubert going to New York. These two couples were (and still are) very close friends of ours through our years at Ozark. We believe in where God is leading them, and so we are looking to (in)directly support them.

To link the two preceding paragraphs together, I am challenging you, as our faithful readers, to turn and help our friends, as we are indefinitely not going on the field ourselves. As many of you know, since getting back to Albuquerque, I have upped my cycling considerably, averaging about 300 miles a month. Therefore, rather than a Jog-a-thon, I am going to hold a personal Bike-a-thon. Similarly to the Jog-a-thon, I will be asking for pledges of a per mile basis. Since we realize many of you are already giving faithfully to your church and other organizations, we know $1/mile is a stretch. Due to this I have devised several suggested pledge levels:



  • The Long Haul



  • $1/mile for whole month (approx 250-300 miles)


  • The Commuter



  • $1/mile for commuting (approx 140 miles)


  • The Half Century



  • $1/mile for one long ride (approx 50 miles)

  • Yes, I realize I am completely corny naming these. As I was bouncing ideas off of Casey for the names, she asked if I was PBS.  Hah, no telethon here.. For this Bike-a-thon, I am going to do the biking for the Greers in September, and the Schauberts in October. I'd love for you to pledge for both.* Here's two manageable goals (as there are approximately 210 that receive this and 75 that open this on a regular basis): The Greer's remaining language school is $2840. 10 people/couples pledging for The Long Haul can take care of that easily. The Schaubert's apartment setup fees in New York will be a few thousand. Let's get them at least $3000 as well. At the end of each month I will send out an update informing of how many miles in each category I rode.

    Friends, you have been so faithful to us in prayer, encouragement, and even finances when it came to adopting Dante. Would you please continue with that through these two couples? If you'd like to pledge, email me or leave a comment on the blog. Also, if you'd like more info on either couples ministry, let me know.

    Grace and Peace,
    Karl for the Mitchells

    *Donations to both are tax deductible. To donate to the Greer's fund, go here. Under Choose a Project, choose Osaka Project, and Fund Designation is Ethan and Audrey Greer. To donate to the Schaubert's fund, go here. On the left side of the page you will see a button that says Donate Now. As mentioned I will send out a total miles update, but I will also try emailing you with how it goes with your pledge.

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    This is a great idea, son! I'm sure Dad and I will help.

    Love you.

    Mom

    Karl said...

    Thanks mom. This weekend or next we can talk about how much you'd like to do.
    Love you,
    Karl