Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A Healthy Rejection

I was going to start this off with a rather boring explanation of this month and it's craziness. Instead, I'm going to spare you the details and go with fragments: Our anniversary.  Casey's birthday. Three day interview.  Sickness. Christmas eve. Brothers and sister in law and nephew in town. Dante's strep. Natural History Museum. New schedule. Unconventional, I know, but you get the gist. We will be thankful when the new year gets going and for the most part things will settle down.

As for a more serious manner, that three day interview was something for which I had prayed and planned for two or three months. It was going to be for a job full of purpose and meaning. Not only that though, it would have been a much better pay and included about the same benefits. So for multiple reasons, I was really going for it. Time and money was invested in the process as I did several practice tests and obtained a suit. Well, the weekend for it came, and I passed with flying colors on the fitness and intelligence tests. Unfortunately, it seemed a few issues in my life (let's just say I've played with fire a bit too much) caused me to be turned down. As I told them "Thank you" and hung up the phone, I was faced with a decision to make. I could either shrink or grow from the rejection.

As you may remember, a few years ago I felt rejection and it took a lot of shrinking before I grew from it. I had my identity crisis and it was not good. Then, too, I had invested a lot of time, money and heart into what I thought was my future. Granted, it was much more than had been invested into this career possibility, but nonetheless, it was devastating.  So when I was told I could try reapplying in the future on this, I had to decide then and there how I would react. On the one side I felt they had made a mistake. I felt I was an ideal candidate regardless of my past. I should have been chosen. I should be angry. But on the other side, I had prepared myself this time. I had actually prayed "Your will be done, not mine." Yes, I went through sadness and slight anger. However those emotions barely lasted the morning. Between repraying "Your will, not mine" and Casey's support that day, my soul was at peace. I went back to work that day and pressed on.

This time, I grew from the rejection rather than shrunk. I allowed God's will to have more value in my life than mine. I decided to trust Him more than myself. My question for you today: Have you prayed for God's will over yours recently? Whether it's with a career, relationships, politics, or whatever it might be, have you truly prayed for His will to win? Believe me, I know it's difficult to not only pray, but to actually want for it to happen.  Yet that is what we are called to as followers. We are called to mimic Christ as he prayed in the garden, "Not my will, but Yours." In this coming new year, I encourage you to do so, in every area of your life.

Grace and peace,
Karl
PS Happy Incarnation and Happy New Year!

No comments: