Thursday, May 15, 2014

Specks vs Logs

Ever have a month that seemed long but went quickly? Yes, I realize how oxymoronic that is, but that's how it felt since the last time I wrote. As I had mentioned my first century of the year was May 3rd. This one was only a metric century (100km/67mi), but it had over 4000 feet of climbing involved. I managed to finish about 10th (which doesn't really matter since it was for charity), in 4 hours and 4 minutes. They had Olive Garden cater for the finish line, and so I ate, and instead of waiting for Casey, I started biking back. I ended up making it another 24 miles before she met up with me. The next ride will be the Tour de Cure at the end of the month. I'd love if you would donate, even just $10 (I need approximately $210 to meet my goal of $1000). In addition, we had to get Dante tested for some food allergies. I'm not sure what was worse, watching him get 50+ pricks, or knowing he got all those pricks just to get all negatives on the results. Unfortunately, since those were all negative, now we have to figure out to what he is allergic. (We've been told they don't do pet dander, etc tests until 3-4 years old.) In addition to all of this, I had an interview for an in store position. It would be lateral move, but at least I won't get off so late. My interview was May 1st and I have not yet heard results. I know they had quite a few interviews to do after mine, so please be praying for this.

As is my habit, I would like to now shift to a more serious matter that has been on my mind:

Homosexuality (1 Cor 6:9) vs heterosexual lust (Matt 5:28)
Cussing (Eph 5:4) vs slander (specifically of leaders) (Matt 15:19)
Abortion (Matt 2:16-18) vs hating a brother (1 John 3:15)
Caring only about the body (Matt 10:28) vs caring only for the soul (1 Cor 6:19-20)
Idolizing environment (1 John 5:21) vs not caring for it (Gen 2:15)

On the left are sins that many conservative Christians deem as despicable. On the right are sins that they tolerate, ignore, or even praise. Unfortunately, all are worthy of death and all are the cause of Jesus' death which we remembered recently. How often do both sides judge so quickly? As Matthew 7:3-5 says, we easily see the speck in our brothers eye (aka, the sin in their life), yet cannot see the log in our own eye (aka the sin in our life). Psychologically, I believe it is because we don't want to be seen as the worst one around. We want to say things like "Christians don't do those things" without acknowledging that not only do Christians struggle with those things, but they also do other similar actions. So, while 1 Corinthians 5:12 does mention we are meant to judge our brothers, that is also meant to be in a relational sense. Unless someone asks you what to do with their sin (such as the Jews at Pentecost), leave it alone unless you are in their inner circle. It just won't help.

In short, let's have a lot more grace with everyone, in and out of the church. Let us be people of the second chance. As Jesus says, love God and love people. (Matt 22:37--39)

Much love,
Karl for the Mitchells

1 comment:

Debbie & Mike said...

You're wise beyond your years, Son! We love you!

Mom & Dad