Sunday, January 17, 2016

Temple Grandin Documentary

The following are thoughts from my Twitter as I watched the Temple Grandin documentary. While I realize a these by themselves are not necessarily characteristics of autism, these are parts that stood out to me from the movie. (I also recognize they may not completely true to Temple's own personality, as many documentaries, try as they might to stay true to the subject, sometimes put a spin on it for the benefit of the movie.) I would highly recommend this movie if you are looking to know more about autism. It is available through HBO.

1. I'm about to watch the Temple Grandin documentary.  Apologies in advance for any possible mass tweets of self discovery.
2. Totally get the pressure calming down thing.
3. Noise overload. As selfish as it may seem, it's acceptable when I create or invite it but not when I cannot escape it.
4. Picture catalogs. I'm not as efficient at it as Temple Grandin but makes me think of how I succeed on tests.
5. "She's different, but not less."
6. Not being able to sing on key. (though able to whistle on key).
7. One of my first thoughts on pranks aside from frustration is the waste of resources and/or time.
8. "They keep giving each other looks and I don't know what they mean." No, really, stop communicating like that. Use your words.
9. "I know there are a lot of things I can't understand, but I still want my life to have meaning." Yes. 1000x, yes.
10. I'm thankful most for Casey helping me be where I am at this point in my understanding and coping with autism.

That about sums it up for me. Thinking back on it, there were a few other parts that stand out, like self-stimulation for soothing (no, that is not sexual.) However, I'd rather you watch the movie and let me know what you think!
Karl

No comments: